You're from Calgary? Your Stampede is Starting Soon Right?
On our recent visit to the Los Angeles area, our family was often asked where we were from. Hearing our answer of Calgary, many responded with a question about our world famous Calgary Stampede. Some were curious, some had been, and some are planning to visit us this year in conjunction with Canada's 150th birthday!
After answering a number of questions about our Stampede (one of the cast members at Disneyland said she felt as though she had insider information) I decided to put together a little list of helpful hints for folks who will be or are thinking about visiting the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth.
1. You only have a few days to get one but for the first time this year, the Stampede Superpass is available. It includes unlimited admission to the grounds for all 10 days for only $39. You can snag this deal here until June 12.
2. You can purchase Stampede Bucks at Calgary area Costcos until July 7. $39.99 will get you $50 worth of bucks that can be used for regular-priced admission, retail, rides & games, food & beverages, and reserved seats for the rodeo or chuckwagon races and grandstand show.
3. Safeway and Sobeys are selling Ride and Play cards again this year. For $37.85 you can get 60 tickets or a Ride-All-Day wristband good on all North American Midway Entertainment rides, games, and the WestJet Skyride.
4. You can pick up two admissions and two cokes to share with a friend for $27 at area Mac's convenience stores.
5. Coke has another deal for you. On specially marked 12-can-packs you can get a white voucher that gives you 2 admissions for only $5, Monday-Thursday July 10-13, 2017 between 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. only.
There are lots of ways to keep your budget under control during Stampede. You can even find deals on the grounds. A visit to Weadickville is one of our favourites. Great eats for bargain prices. The kids will love this recreation of a 1912 Calgary street where they can enjoy a hot dog or ice cream cone under the shade of trees as they run around in this grassy area.
Wonder around to the agricultural area and you can snag some milk and cookies for the little ones without breaking the bank. You can feel good about helping the Calgary Foodbank (the proceeds go to them) while your kids enjoy their treat.
There are lots of good deals to be found in Calgary during Stampede. (I haven't even mentioned the free pancake breakfasts yet!) The Stampede Caravan Committee is celebrating 85 years of flipping flapjacks this year. They can find a list of their breakfasts at caravan.calgarystampede.com
You can also find a complete listing of breakfasts for 2017 at stampedebreakfasts.ca This list includes local business and community events as well.
Our family is counting the days to the Stampede. Hope you can join us!